There was another triumph for me in the realm of diet.
I had not been able to tolerate coffee well for my first 40 years. However, I’ve wanted to include it in my diet for the neurological and health benefits that come from consumption. So I began trying to introduce it last year and deemed the process a success since I wasn’t jittery from a cup. But it wasn’t without some symptoms. On occasion, it could give me a bit of urinary urgency from one cup, and it usually would from two cups. So I devised a plan to get up to that second cup symptom-free.
With my knowledge of how the nervous system works, I aimed for a steady increase over a few months. So I devised a plan to fast from coffee on the weekends and slowly work up to two cups per day.
I know that the nervous system likes minor tweaks, as I discuss here regarding teasing pain. I have seen many symptoms alleviate when approaching them in a personalized and gradually increasing manner that keeps the body properly balanced.
To implement this approach, I set my first goal to minimize my symptoms with one cup of coffee. I began by sipping water every time I drank any coffee so that I wasn’t getting a straight caffeine high. After two weeks, I reduced the water intake by about half, and I generally still did well. Eventually, I transitioned to straight coffee drinking with the first cup.
I didn’t rigidly adhere to the process every day. For example, if I had more nerve pain than usual (feeling a 3 out of 10 instead of a 1-2), I would slow my consumption rate across as much as 90 minutes since that extra pain made me less able to handle the caffeine.
When I had no symptoms from the first cup of coffee for five days, I added a second cup and started the process over. Only this time, I would only drink water with the second cup instead of both cups.
The results were better than I expected! This month, I didn’t have any negative symptoms from drinking a couple of cups within two hours. I won’t try and add a third cup–I think two is a healthy maximum. And as I mentioned above, my bladder symptoms improved during this period!
The whole process took about three careful months. Yet again, my patience has been rewarded with progress.